Visa Options

Subclass 500 Student Visa:

  • Visit Australia to participate in a course of study.
  • Up to 5 years and in line with your enrolment.
  • With this visa you can:
    • participate in an eligible course of study
    • bring family members to Australia with you
    • apply online in or outside Australia
  • You must:
    • be enrolled in a course of study in Australia
    • hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the exemption categories
    • must be 6 years or older
    • prove you have a welfare arrangement if you are under 18
    • If in Australia hold an eligible substantive visa.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Criterion for Student Visa:

The Australian Government operates a student visa programme that enables people who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to undertake study in Australia. A person who wants to undertake a course of study under the student visa programme must obtain a student visa before they can commence a course of study in Australia. A successful applicant must be both a genuine temporary entrant and a genuine student.

An applicant who is a genuine temporary entrant will have circumstances that support a genuine intention to temporarily enter and remain in Australia, notwithstanding the potential for this intention to change over time to an intention to utilise lawful means to remain in Australia for an extended period of time or permanently.

The genuine temporary entrant criterion for Student visa applications requires the Minister to be satisfied that the applicant intends genuinely to stay in Australia temporarily, having regard to:

a. the applicant’s circumstances; and

b. the applicant’s immigration history; and

c. if the applicant is a minor — the intentions of a parent, legal guardian or spouse of the applicant; and

d. any other relevant matter.

Meeting GTE criterion is the most important factor to be considered when preparing your student visa application.  Therefore, it is best to prepare your student visa application through a registered migration agent or a migration lawyer.

Subclass 590 Student Guardian visa:

  • Visit to support a child who holds a student visa.
  • This is a temporary visa. The length of your visa will be determined by the student visa holder’s stay and their age.
  • With this visa you can:
    • come to Australia to provide care and support for a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age or older due to exceptional circumstances
  • You must:
    • be the student’s parent, custodian or relative who is 21 years or older
    • have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay
    • be able to provide accommodation, welfare and other support
  • The following condition(s) might be attached to this visa:
    • 8101 – No work
    • 8106 – Work limitation
    • 8201 – Maximum 3 months study
    • 8501 – Maintain adequate health insurance
    • 8502 – Not arrive before person specified in the visa
    • 8516 – Continue to satisfy the criteria for the grant of the visa
    • 8534 – No further stay
    • 8537 – Live with the student and provide for their accommodation, support and welfare
    • 8538 – Not leave Australia without the student without our approval